Skip to content ↓

School History

Our school was built in 1911 and enjoyed a wonderful centenary celebration in 2011. Llangan Primary serves the village of Llangan, Treoes, Ruthin, Pentre Meyrick, St Mary Hill and Penllyn.

Llangan Primary School children 1965/66

FInd out more about the history of education in our area before our school opened here:

First Schools to Farming - Treoes Heritage Hub (

The Old School Room, Llangan – The Llangan community website (

The original building houses our year 6 classroom, a staffroom, library, kitchen, support room and dining hall. Following this, a new building, added a multipurpose hall, a Nursery and Reception classroom, offices and a toilet area. The Foundation Phase (Nursery – Year 2) have access to their own veranda and play area where outdoor learning is actively encouraged.


The school has full use of the play yard and playing fields, a polytunnel and gardens to enhance opportunities for outdoor learning. In 2012 we inherited a new demountable building where Years 3,4 and 5 pupils are situated. We also have our ‘cwtch’ which is the Y1/2 Classroom and our after-school club ‘Simply Out of School’.